The twenty-ninth annual Riccardo Zandonai International Competition for Young Opera Singers is organised by the Musica Riva Association (www.musicarivafestival.com), which carries out the management and organisational secretariat operations.
Young opera singers of any nationality, born after 1st January 1986, are eligible to enter the competition. Winners of the first prize from previous years may only enter for the Riccardo Zandonai Prize section, as set out in article 6.
The registration fee is 110,00 euros (one hundred and ten euros) excluding bank charges and is not refundable. The registration procedure involves completing the online application for admission, which candidates will find at www.musicarivafestival.com under the Riccardo Zandonai Opera Competition section. The following documents must be submitted along with the application form:
- Photocopy of identity card or equivalent identification document;
- Photocopy of Italian tax code where applicable, or photocopy of tax number or other tax identification document from the country of residence;
- Online payment of 110,00 euros by credit card or receipt for a bank transfer;
- Full-length photograph;
- Declaration of consent to the processing of personal data (available to download from the website for completion the application process);
All these documents must be entered in the Reserved Area that will be activated for each participant. The Reserved Area can be accessed from www.musicarivafestival.com – Sign up. For any request please contact: email@example.com
Entrants from non-EU countries must produce a valid entry permit for the Italian Republic to show the competition organisers. Failure to do so may result in exclusion from the competition, in accordance with current regulations. If necessary, the Musica Riva Association will confirm with the relevant authorities whether the permit is appropriate.
Applications must reach the organising secretariat by 26th June 2023.
Candidates will be excluded in the event of late or incomplete applications, and applications or attachments containing incorrect information or information that does not meet the requirements of the above-mentioned articles.
Candidate will also be excluded in the following circumstances:
– failure to pay the registration fee in full;
– failure to attend on 3rd July 2023 or attendance on a day other than that notified to her/him,
as in article 3 below;
– offensive, disrespectful or inappropriate behaviour before, during or after the competition.
The competition will take place from from 3 to 8 July 2023, and final concert on 8th July, in accordance with the procedure set out in the articles below. The competition rounds will be held at the F.A. Bonporti Music Conservatory at Largo Marconi 5 – 38066 – Riva del Garda, Tn.
Entrants must report to the competition secretariat on the day and at the time notified by the artistic secretariat. Eliminatory round and semi-final round of the Competition will be behind closed doors. While the final round of the Competition will be open to the public, at the Teatro Zandonai in Rovereto. The competition organisers will provide pianists to accompany entrants in their performances. Competitors who wish to use a different pianist may do so at their own expense, after submitting a request to the competition organisers and receiving express authorisation to do so.
The competition will not reimburse entrants for travel expenses.
The cost of overnight accommodation and breakfast at the Riva del Garda Youth Hostel will be paid
by the competition organisers, on request from entrants, up to and no later than 12pm on the day following the entrant’s elimination or withdrawal from the competition. For the winners of the competition, bed and breakfast accommodation at the Youth Hostel will be provided until 12pm on the day following the Winners Concert. Overnight accommodation will be assigned subject to availability, on a first-come first-served basis when the registration fee is paid.
The jury, as appointed by the competition’s artistic director, will have the power to award one or more prizes jointly. In this eventuality the prize money will be divided equally. The jury will announce the winners during the Winners Concert. The jury’s decision is final and irrevocable.
ART. 6 – Prizes
– First Prize, Euro 8.000 – offered by the Municipality of Riva del Garda
– Second Prize, Euro 5.000
– Third Prize, Euro 3.000 – offered by the Municipality of Riva del Garda
– Riccardo Zandonai Prize, 5.000 Euros offered by the Municipality of Rovereto, for the best
interpretation of chamber music and/or pieces from the opera repertoire of Riccardo Zandonai.
Participation in this section of the Competition is optional.
– Mietta Sighele and Veriano Luchetti Prize – Euro 10.000 to the singer or singers chosen
at the unquestionable judgment of the artistic director of the Zandonai competition Mietta Sighele
– 4 Municipality of Riva del Garda and musicaRivafestival Prizes, of Euro 1.250 each for participation
in the singing masterclass on the occasion of musicaRivafestival 2023.
– Prize “Concert mrf 23” – Participation in a concert within the 2023 festival
– 2 Prizes Eung Kwang Lee
– Prize Icheon Cultural Foundation
– Prize Icheon Arthall
– Prize Fundacion Opera Actual
– Audience Award
– La Fenice Prize
Competitors must present 4 pieces from the opera repertoire, in original language, of which 2 are free choice and 2 selected from the list of compulsory pieces – to download from the website: www.musicarivafestival.com. Competitors wishing to participate in the optional section “Riccardo Zandonai Prize” must also submit two pieces from the chamber music and/or opera repertoire of Riccardo Zandonai.
The Competition will be divided into three phases:
Competitors must present and perform two pieces:
– one of their own choice and one of the two compulsory pieces presented in the application form.
She/He shall also perform one of Riccardo Zandonai’s pieces of her/his choice, if she/he intends to participate in this section.
Round Two – Semifinal
Entrants who pass the elimination round will be admitted to the semi-final round.
Entrants must perform:
– two pieces not submitted for the preliminary round.
– the second Riccardo Zandonai piece (for those taking part in this section), see article 6
The first-prize winners from other international singing competitions in 2022 and 2023 (relevant documentation to be provided) are admitted to the semi-final round directly.
Entrants admitted directly to the semi-final must perform:
– a piece of their choice from the ones indicated on their application and a piece from the compulsory pieces.
– one of their Riccardo Zandonai pieces (for those taking part in this section).
In the first and second rounds, the jury reserves the right to listen to the pieces in full or in part at its own discretion, which is incontestable.
Round Three – Final
Entrants will perform one or more of their pieces, chosen by the jury, including the pieces by Riccardo Zandonai for those taking part in this section.
The awards ceremony will take place during the concert on 8th July 2023, accompagned by Orchestra, at which the winners will be required to take part. Prizes will be forfeited for failure to attend. Cash prizes will be sent in full to the winners by bank transfer, no later than 8 October 2023.
– The four Municipality of Riva del Garda and musicaRivafestival prizes, consisting of scholarships for participation in singing improvement classes as part of musicaRivafestival 2023, are limited to the above-mentioned participation and will be presented as a binding letter of obligation which will be handed to the winner at the Zandonai Competition, and which she/he will be required to submit to the organising secretariat of MusicaRivafestival within the normal registration deadlines. Failure to do so will result in forfeiture of the prize. The organising secretariat will pay the prize money to the winner after subtracting the amount required for registration and participation in the class.
– The winners may be awarded the “mRf23 Concert Prize” for participation in a concert within the 2023 Festival (21 -30 July 2023 in Riva del Garda).
Travel expenses within the Italian territory and hospitality for the duration necessary for the rehearsals and the concert will be paid by Musica Riva Festival 2023.
Participants waive any right to the use of radio and/or television footage of their performances and the transmission or reproduction of their performed pieces, and authorise the organisation to make video, audio and photographic recordings at any time during the competition for use at the organisation’s discretion, with no entitlement to claim.
By submitting the application form, entrants accept all the regulations contained in this announcement. In the event of disputes, the Italian version of the regulations will prevail.
All participants in the Riccardo Zandonai competition will be covered by accident insurance taken out with a leading insurance company.
The list of compulsory pieces is available at: www.musicarivafestival.com